At just 14 years old, Jason Koonce already started his first business, buying and selling sports cards. He’d often skip school and travel to card shows, searching for hidden gold in collections others were trying to offload.
Now, he’s one of the world’s leading experts in one of the fastest-growing alternative investment markets in the world.
People used to think it was “cute” when Jason told them he bought and sold sports cards for a living. Now athletes, celebrities, and institutional investors are coming to him for his advice on how to take advantage of this modern-day gold rush.
Check out this week’s episode to discover how Jason was able to turn his childhood hobby into a multi-million-dollar business.
Time Stamped Show Notes
[01:48] Welcome to the show…
- 02:08 Jason starts out like most kids using birthday and money earned from chores to buy sports cards.
- 02:35 Jason learns about card shows and falls in love with the wheeling and dealing lifestyle.
- 03:07 At 14, Jason has started his own business, even skipping school to travel to card shows around the country.
[03:37] From childhood hobby to true asset class…
- 03:53 The game-changing opportunity that allowed sports cards to transform into a true asset class.
- 05:48 Finding million dollar treasure troves in attics, basements, and storage units.
- 07:33 How people buying their childhood back creates alternative investment markets.
- 10:40 The value and liquidity difference between the sports cards and memorabilia.
[11:47] The scale of alternative investment markets
- 12:14 Going from working in an obscure market to being one of the most sought-after experts in a rapidly growing field.
- 12:59 Why the Lebron James rookie card just might be the next Picaso painting.
- 14:02 Working with Gary V on taking advantage of this new gold rush.
[15:38] From backroom dealing to a respected advisor
- 15:45 Going from superfan to collaborating with athletes and celebrities.
- 16:43 Athletes invest in themselves by buying up their own cards.
- 18:43 The difference between gambling in these new markets and being a smart investor.
- 19:58 How a surprise retirement cost Jason nearly $350,000 in one day.
- 21:02 Is it still possible to find great deals?
[23:22] The future of sports cards and alternative investment markets
- 23:26 Are we in a sports card bubble, or is there still room for the market to grow?
- 25:10 There is a price point for everyone in the market. You can build a collection starting with a few hundred dollars or a few million.
[27:02] Wrap-up—thanks for checking out this episode of the Primed Mind Podcast!
3 Key Points
- There is an opportunity to make a fantastic living at almost anything if you’re willing to put in the work to become world-class. People laughed at Jason when he told them he bought and sold sports cards for a living, and now athletes and celebrities are reaching out to him for his advice.
- Search for the hidden opportunities that others are missing. Jason took the foundations of any market, supply and demand, and realized there was a massive opportunity with graded sports cards. Applying tried and true principles to new markets can yield fantastic returns.
- Building strong relationships is the foundation of success in every career. When you focus on relationships, previously shut doors will open for you, and deals that are impossible for others seem to come naturally for you.
- Jason’s Website
- Follow Jason on Facebook
- Follow Jason on Instagram
- Follow Jason on Twitter
- Primed Mind – Elliot’s Mindset Coaching App