Has your business outgrown you as its leader? It might be time to stop wearing all the hats and let someone else handle the day-to-day operations…
Inside this episode, SEO expert, digital strategist, and serial entrepreneur Nick Eubanks talks about the freedom he gained by handing over the CEO title.
After spending the better part of his career so far growing businesses in the digital marketing space, Nick realized he would better serve his digital agency better by focusing on growth and developing new ideas.
In early 2020, he decided to hire a CEO so that he could free up his time and mental energy to focus on his strengths and talents. Listen to this episode to hear some of Nick’s wisdom and insight on business leadership, along with some helpful tips to get started with funneling more traffic to your website.
Time Stamped Show Notes
[00:00:00] Welcome to this episode with guest Nick Eubanks of Traffic Think Tank
[00:01:47] Nick shares about his start in digital marketing during the young days of email
- [00:03:28] From email spam to the frontier—Nick builds his first digital marketing business
- [00:06:54] Building companies from the ground up, exiting, and creating an agency
[00:10:16] Relinquishing the CEO title—Nick talks about his fears and freedoms
- [00:13:44] Investing in coaching is like pressing the fast-forward button on your business
- [00:14:54] Check your ego at the door—work on your business, not in it!
- [00:18:13] How relevant is SEO in today’s search market?
[00:20:27] As your business grows and scales, stick to what you’re good at…
- [00:22:17] Use your calendar as a weapon—a scheduled life is freedom!
[00:23:53] Do your research—the market tells you what it wants through search trends
- [00:27:22] SEO is a tool for finding demand, not creating it…
- [00:29:47] Resources for business owners looking to get started with SEO
[00:31:48] Where can you find out more about Nick?
[00:33:24] Wrap-up—thanks for checking out this episode!
3 Key Points
- Giving up the CEO title—how does it affect your relationship with clients and employees? When Nick realized it was time to share the leadership of his agency, he was afraid it would change perceptions. Instead, it’s allowed his business to grow, and he enjoys his day-to-day work and freedom from the responsibilities of operations. As your company scales up and out, especially in the digital space, it’s important to stay focused on what you’re good at.
- Your calendar can become a powerful business weapon. Use it wisely! The key to getting everything done is to schedule it—even if you’re a creative type. When you know what your day-to-day plan is, you’ll have less decision making to think about, which will free up your mind for doing what matters most.
- If you want your product or service to be successful, find out what your market actually wants! In digital marketing, SEO is a tool to discover demand—not to create it—and your potential clients or customers reveal their wants through their search queries.