Michael Cazayoux’s story begins with overcoming significant substance abuse issues, starting at a very young age.
Since then, he’s gone on to win the CrossFit team games two years in a row, build a large podcast, and run an incredibly successful nutrition coaching company.
His most recent project is called Soul Searching Adventure, where he takes men on backpacking excursions and creates a transformative experience in the process.
Click play to discover what it took for Michael to finally overcome his addictions and how he uses what he learned to help others make breakthroughs in their own lives.
Time Stamped Show Notes
[01:05] Welcome to the show…
- 02:11 Using adversity to become a CrossFit champion.
- 02:19 Growing up in a small town with an “All-American” upbringing.
- 03:05 Seeking acceptance from the wrong people and doing whatever it took to gain their approval.
- 06:52 As the drug use expands, Michael’s system of values begins to shrink.
[09:17] Hitting rock-bottom and making the decision to change.
- 09:45 Michael has the choice between getting expelled and participating in a wilderness rehab program.
- 11:31 Learning to discuss insecurities and vulnerabilities with other men.
- 13:36 Michael’s “Grand Plan” for life after rehab and why he finally chose to stay on his own volition.
[16:39] Discovering CrossFit and becoming a champion.
- 17:42 A cocky Michael enters a CrossFit gym for the first time and gets put to shame by a 60-year old Grandma.
- 18:46 Discovering a passion and camaraderie in the grind.
- 19:40 The life-changing clarity of discovering your purpose.
[20:15] Soul Searching Adventures
- 20:45 Teaching wilderness survival skills alongside deep introspective work.
- 23:05 How an outdoor adventure helps you prepare for internal growth.
- 25:07 How shared experiences create rapid bonds.
[26:50] Michael’s top tips for overcoming adversity
- 27:13 How to surround yourself with people who elevate you.
- 30:04 Share your shit.
[32:32] Wrap-Up—Thanks For Checking Out This Episode Of The Primed Mind Podcast!
3 Key Points
- Choose Your Role Models Wisely: Humans learn through imitation, and the people you model your life on have a huge impact on your success. While a young child has very little control over their role models, as you get older, you gain the power to curate your role models.
- Be Clear With Your Purpose: When you are clear on your purpose, everything in life seems meaningful. When you have clarity, the seemingly mundane areas of your life become attached to that purpose, making them feel less of a drag. You gain an appreciation for all aspects of life and how they help you achieve your vision.
- Get Outside Your Comfort Zone: Significant change is always just outside your comfort zone. When you get outside of your comfort zone, whether through an outdoor adventure or something else entirely, you give yourself the perspective to see the changes you need to make to live the life you desire.
- Working Against Gravity Website
- Soul Searching Adventures Website
- The Michael Caz Podcast
- Follow Michael on Instagram
- Follow Michael on Facebook
- Follow Michael on Twitter
- Primed Mind – Elliot’s Mindset Coaching App